May 22, 2026
a4b1d888-3e8f-42a1-a7e2-e8c490353c26

The curtain is closing on Casemiro’s time at Manchester United. First-team coach Michael Carrick has officially confirmed that the Brazilian midfielder, who has been the subject of intense transfer speculation, will not feature in the Red Devils’ final Premier League fixture against Brighton. His last appearance in a United shirt came in the dramatic 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford last weekend, marking the emotional end of a four-year chapter.

From Madrid to Manchester and beyond

Arriving from Real Madrid in a high-profile deal reportedly worth up to £70 million in 2022, Casemiro leaves Old Trafford with his head held high. His departure, confirmed by Carrick following discussions with the player, completes a transfer saga that has seen Inter Miami emerge as the frontrunner to sign him as a free agent this summer. The 34-year-old has already begun looking ahead, and Carrick made it clear that the decision to part ways was mutual and timely.

« It was always understood that last week’s match would be his final one,» Carrick explained. « I think it went as well as we could have hoped, and he was outstanding. I’ve spoken about everything Casemiro has brought to my team and the club since I arrived, and yes, it felt like the right moment for him to move on.

MLS destination beckons for the veteran midfielder

With the Premier League behind him, all signs point to Florida as Casemiro’s next stop. While transfer talks remain private, the Brazilian’s preference for a move to Inter Miami—where Lionel Messi already plies his trade—has dominated discussions. Carrick revealed that the player himself played a part in finalising the timing of his exit from Old Trafford.

« I think it was simply the right time for Case. He was also involved in that decision,» Carrick said. « There’s a balance to be struck regarding the final match. We’re not done yet, and the season isn’t over for us. We’re fully aware of that.»

Casemiro’s contributions have been invaluable, providing crucial experience at the heart of United’s midfield and helping secure a top-three finish this season.

Carrick’s permanent role in the balance

With Casemiro’s departure now a fait accompli, attention is turning to Carrick’s future. After guiding the team impressively during his interim spell, speculation is rife that he is on the verge of being handed a permanent contract. While no official announcement has been made, Carrick hinted that a resolution is imminent.

« We said it would happen at the end of the season, didn’t we? We’re almost there—just a few days away,» he remarked with a smile. « I told you the other day that things would become clearer soon, and that’s exactly what’s happening. For now, though, I can’t share any more details.

United’s final lineup takes shape

As the squad prepares to face Brighton, Manchester United are nearly at full strength. However, Carrick confirmed that defender Matthijs de Ligt will miss the game due to ongoing back surgery recovery. In positive news, striker Benjamin Sesko is expected to return to the matchday squad after recovering from injury.

The Reds will take on a motivated Brighton side, still fighting for a European qualification spot, while United’s third-place finish already guarantees their return to the UEFA Champions League next season.